LiPo Safety Do's and Don'ts
LiPo Safety Use and Care- Please Read Before Use!
DO: Use a charger that is specifically designed to charge Li-Po batteries. Using chargers that are not Li-Po- specific can be an extreme fire hazard.
DO: Disconnect your battery from your vehicle/charger when not in use. Leaving it connected to your vehicle for an extended period of time can drain your Li-Po pack below the minimum voltage causing permanent damage to the battery.
DO: Li-Pos don't develop memory or voltage depression characteristics like Ni-Cds. Charge them without the worry of cycling or discharging them first.
DO: Store Li-Pos at least partially charged. Li-Pos will maintain their performance levels over time, even during non-use, much better than Ni-Cds, and there's no need to cycle them.
DON'T: Never fully discharge your Li-Po battery pack. Most electronic speed controls have a voltage cutoff that will prevent over-discharging the battery, but were designed for Ni-Cd & Ni-MH batteries. You will need to check the settings on your ESC BEFORE using your battery! Be sure that your ESC features the proper Li-Po cut off voltage of 3V per cell (6V for 2-cell packs, 9V for 3-cell packs and so on). Please refer to your owner’s manual on your specific ESC for Li-Po cutoff setup. Failing to do this step will ruin your battery and possibly cause damage to the motor and ESC! Discharging a Li-Po cell beyond its critical minimum voltage will cause permanent damage to the battery that will not be covered by any manufacturers warranty!
DON'T: Shorting a Li-Po pack for even an instant can cause damage to the battery. Whether the pack has been shorted when new, while adding or changing the connector, when fully charged or fully discharged, the pack should be charged with extreme caution. Be sure to take care when soldering connectors and during handling or charging to prevent shorts.
DON'T: If you have a crash and the battery is damaged, don't put the battery in your car or house immediately after a crash. It's possible that a chemical reaction can take place in the damaged battery that could cause a fire. Put the battery in a safe place for at least one hour.