Eflite SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm EDF BNF Basic
The Lockheed Martin SR-71 “Blackbird” is one of the most unique and iconic aircraft of all time. Developed in the 1960s to fly faster and higher than all other airplanes and missiles of the time, the SR-71 holds world records for sustained altitude (85,069 feet) and speed (2,193.2 mph/Mach 3.3). With the E-flite® SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm EDF, you can own a replica that’s scaled to be practical for more RC pilots to afford and fly! It’s compatible with popular 4S 2200mAh batteries and is equipped with exclusive Spektrum™ AS3X and optional-use SAFE Select technologies to make it the easiest to fly Blackbird yet. Optional-use fixed landing gear with a steerable nose wheel makes it easy to taxi, takeoff, and land on smooth surfaces, or you can leave the gear off for more speed and vertical performance when flying over grass. Best of all, it arrives factory-finished and nearly ready to fly right out of the box to offer an authentic SR-71 flying experience you can’t get anywhere else!
Aviation enthusiasts and RC pilots have dreamed of flying an SR-71 someday, and now the E-flite® SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm EDF can make that dream a reality! It arrives mostly factory-assembled and ready to fly right out of the box, including a factory-installed control unit featuring a Spektrum™ receiver equipped with exclusive AS3X® and optional-use SAFE® Select technologies. It’s ready to bind to your 5+ channel DSMX®/DSM2® equipped transmitter, plus you’ll receive real-time telemetry data, including overall battery voltage, current, and more with Smart and non-Smart batteries when using compatible Spektrum radios featuring AirWare™ software. Twin 40mm fans and brushless outrunner motors are compatible with affordable and common 4S 2200mAh 30+C batteries while delivering an excellent blend of performance and flight times. The fully-molded EPO airframe features panel lines and other scale surface details, along with plastic-reinforced fuselage chines plus composite reinforcements in the nose and throughout to make it extremely durable while also keeping it lightweight. A rubber nose cone with pitot tube and the vertical fins – including an additional set of optional-use red painted fins that offer improved visibility – snap into place for easy removal/replacement. The fixed landing gear plus steerable nose wheel, featuring tires that replicate the look of the unique aluminum-infused tires used on the full-scale aircraft, make it possible to taxi, takeoff, and land on smooth surfaces. You can also fly without the landing gear installed for more speed and vertical performance while utilizing the molded-in finger grips and automatic Hand Launch Assist Mode for easy hand launching over and landings on grass. Either way, the E-flite SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm delivers an incomparable flying experience you simply can’t get with any other RC model!
- An officially-licensed* replica of the world’s fastest and highest-flying manned aircraft that offers a flying experience unlike any other model
- The most affordable, practical and easiest to fly SR-71 EDF (Electric Ducted Fan) jet model yet
- Twin 40mm fans and outrunner motors compatible with popular 4S 2200mAh 30+C batteries
- Real-time overall battery voltage, current and other telemetry data via compatible transmitters
- Spektrum™ receiver with fly-by range telemetry and industry-leading 2.4GHz DSMX® technology
- Easier to fly with innovative and optional-use SAFE® Select flight envelope protection
- The unmatched stability and locked-in feel of exclusive AS3X® technology
- Four factory-installed servos for separate aileron, elevator and nose gear steering control
- Take off from and land on smooth surfaces using the included landing gear plus steerable nose wheel
- Remove the landing gear and utilize the molded-in finger grips plus automatic Hand Launch Assist Mode when flying over grass or other suitable surfaces
- Fully-molded and extremely durable EPO airframe with plastic and composite reinforcements throughout
- Includes an extra set of optional-use, red-painted vertical fins that snap into place for improved visibility
- Almost completely factory-assembled and ready to fly right out of the box
- Factory-applied, fully-painted finish with optional-use “Habu” decal
Skill Level 3 – Experience Required
Skill Level 3 aircraft, like this one, are suitable for more experienced RC pilots who already have the skills to assemble, set up and fly similar class models. And although this is the easiest to fly SR-71 model yet, it’s not a suitable first-ever RC aircraft for new pilots or first-ever EDF (Electric Ducted Fan)/jet model for intermediate to experienced RC pilots. You should have the experience and skills necessary to successfully fly high-performance EDF models like the E-flite Habu SS (Super Sport) 50mm or 70mm, the Viper 70mm and/or larger EDF models before attempting to fly the SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm EDF.
Are you new to flying RC (Radio Controlled) aircraft? If you are, the SR-71 is not a suitable first-ever RC model and we recommend learning to fly with one of our purpose-built trainer aircraft such as the E-flite® Habu STS (Smart Trainer with SAFE) 70mm EDF. It's equipped with exclusive and innovative SAFE technology that makes it possible for almost anyone to learn to fly successfully! The Ready-To-Fly (RTF) Basic version includes almost everything needed to fly (except for a compatible LiPo battery and charger that are sold separately) and is a perfect choice if you're a new RC pilot!
Bind-N-Fly Completion Level Advantage
Already own a Spektrum™ transmitter? Bind-N-Fly (BNF) aircraft make getting into the air quickly and with the best control experience possible easier than ever. They come out of the box with the power system, servos and a Spektrum 2.4GHz receiver installed so all you need to do is bind the receiver to a compatible transmitter, finish any final assembly, and fly!
This is the first SR-71 Blackbird model equipped with exclusive Spektrum™ AS3X® and SAFE® Select technologies. AS3X works behind the scenes to smooth out the effects of wind and turbulence to deliver a locked-in feel that makes it seem like you're flying a much larger airplane. Optional-use SAFE Select offers pitch and bank angle limits along with automatic self-leveling that can be turned on and off at the flip of a switch to make this an easier to fly Blackbird.
The SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm EDF is equipped with a control unit including a receiver and ESCs that provide a variety of real-time power system-related telemetry data including overall battery voltage, current draw, and more – when using Smart and non-Smart batteries – to compatible Spektrum AirWare™ equipped transmitters (including the DX6e and 8e, DX6 G2/3 and 8 G2, the DX9, NX6, 8 and 10, iX12, iX14, iX20 and others) while you fly.
High Power EDFs
The factory-installed brushless power systems feature 40mm fans with high-RPM outrunner motors. This twin power system setup is designed to deliver an excellent blend of performance and flight time with popular 4S 2200mAh 30C+ batteries.
You can install the included fixed landing gear with a steerable nose wheel – featuring tires that replicate the look of the unique aluminum-infused tires used on the full-scale aircraft – to taxi, take off and land on smooth surfaces. Or you can leave the landing gear off for more speed and vertical performance plus easy hand launches over and landings on grass while utilizing the molded-in finger grips and automatic Hand Launch Assist Mode.
The EPO airframe features molded-in panel lines and other scale surface details, along with plastic-reinforced fuselage chines plus composite reinforcements in the nose and throughout, to make it extremely durable yet also lightweight. The result is an outstanding scale appearance that's easy to maintain and delivers the best possible flying experience.
The SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm EDF arrives nearly 100% factory-assembled and ready to fly right out of the box! The only assembly that’s required is to snap the black vertical fins – or the additional set of red painted fins that offer improved visibility – into place. Then program and bind your 5+ channel Spektrum™ DSMX®/DSM2® equipped transmitter to the factory-installed receiver and you can be flying within minutes of taking it out of the box!
The factory-applied and fully-painted plus decal finish not only looks great but also replicates the “Habu” markings of 17958, including an optional-use decal for the nose.
Bind-N-Fly Completion Level Advantage
Already own a Spektrum™ transmitter? Bind-N-Fly (BNF) aircraft make getting into the air quickly and with the best control experience possible easier than ever. They come out of the box with the power system, servos and a Spektrum 2.4GHz receiver installed so all you need to do is bind the receiver to a compatible transmitter, finish any final assembly and fly!
This Bind-N-Fly Basic model is equipped with a Spektrum 2.4GHz DSMX® receiver featuring AS3X® (Artificial Stabilization–3-aXis) technology that works behind the scenes to smooth out the effects of wind and turbulence so you enjoy a sense of stability and precision that makes it feel like you're flying a much larger, expertly tuned aircraft.
If this is your first model of its type, or you want an extra margin of safety while familiarizing yourself with the airplane, you can enable the optional-use SAFE® Select flight envelope protection technology built into the receiver. No programming is required.
With SAFE Select enabled, you get:
Pitch and Bank Angle Limits
- These envelope limits keep the airplane from rolling or pitching upside down. They also prevent excessive climb or dive angles.
- Automatic Self-Leveling
- The airplane instantly returns to and holds level flight when the sticks are released and in the center position. It's also helpful for keeping the wings level during takeoffs/launches and landings.
Easy Switch Assignment—No Complex Programming Required
- The simple procedure for assigning a transmitter switch to turn SAFE Select features on and off doesn't require any complex programming and takes just a few seconds. For models like this one, SAFE Select is automatically assigned to channel 5 (Gear) so you can turn it on an off with any switch assigned to that channel (switch A by default on most Spektrum computer transmitters).
LiPo Compatibility 4S
Completion Level Bind-N-Fly Basic
Recommended Battery 14.8V 2200mAh 4S 30C LiPo Battery with IC3 Connector
Approximate Assembly Time No Assembly Required
Minimum Required Radio Full-range 5+ Channel Spektrum™ DSMX®/DSM2® Compatible Transmitter
Technology AS3X and SAFE
Product Weight 29.4oz (834g) with Recommended Motor Battery
Fan Size 40mm EDF
Motor Type Brushless
Connector Type IC3
Motor Size 1820-6800Kv 6-Pole
Product Length 37.6" (955 mm)
Power Type Electric
Skill Level Level 3
Wingspan 19.88" (505 mm)
(1) E-flite® SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm EDF
(4) Spektrum Linear Servos (installed)
(2) Spektrum Brushless Outrunner Motors (installed)
(1) Spektrum Control Unit with (1) Receiver and (2) Brushless ESCs (installed)
(1) SR-71 Blackbird Twin 40mm EDF BNF Basic Product Manual
Needed to Complete
(1) Full-range 5+ Channel Spektrum™ DSMX®/DSM2® Compatible Transmitter
(1) 4S 14.8V 2200mAh 30+C LiPo with EC3™ or IC3® Connector
(1) Compatible LiPo Charger